Translate

Monday, April 22, 2013

It's gotta taste good!

When changing your diet due to allergies or food intolerances, that first thing that goes through your brain is that you are missing out. Wheat and milk are in almost everything we eat. So one of the first things I changed was going from puffed wheat to puffed rice. There are also other cereals that are puffed such as millet, so there is actually a bit of a choice. I found the follow recipe for the syrup coating that works with any puffed cereal. It's made with honey and I like that.

Puffed Squares

4 cups of puffed cereal, any kind or combo thereof

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
2 heaping tablespoons of cocoa powder

1) Measure puffed cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
2) In a saucepan, mix together the remaining ingredients and cook over high heat until it starts to boil. Turn down to simmer and let the chocolate mixture simmer for 2 minutes.
3) While the chocolate mixture is simmering, spray with cooking spray an 8 X 8 glass cake pan.
4) Take the syrup mixture and pour over puffed cereal. Mix quickly and pour the cereal mixture into the glass cake pan, pat down with a spatula.
5) Let cool and cut into squares.

One can also add dried fruit, nuts, pumpkin or sunflower seeds, mini marshmallows to vary the square.

We've also been known to eat it warm right out of the pan! Enjoy!

I can't remember where I've picked up this recipe, been using it a long time in our house!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my this sounds yummy Diane! Chocolate and honey in one place! I may have to try this. I've been trying to eat healthier myself, although not necessarily gluten free. The difference between us though is that I don't particularly like to cook and I'm certainly not inventive. I'll be stopping by for your recipes from time to time. Follower #4!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful reminds me of a healthy rice krispies treat.I going to give it a try. I don't know what I did but it has me as a foller instead of a member. Best of luck with your new blogging adventures.

    ReplyDelete