Translate

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Blueberry Saskatoon Crostada

I think what people miss the most on gluten free diets is to eat "normal" food. Gluten free cooking has come a long way since I started twenty years ago. The more recipes I find on the net and in cookbooks that my family likes, we've gotten to the point where we don't even miss the wheat. Thanks to all the wonderful cooks out there!

I found this recipe on Pinterest. The photo looked delicious and so today, I set out to try it with my favorite Saskatoon berry recipe on food.com.
Saskatoon pie filling recipe

The only changes I made to the recipe was to half the amount of Saskatoons and replace the second half with blueberries. Instead of the flour I used tapioca starch and doubled the amount.  My auntie Marguerite makes her pies with this ratio and they are delicious! She is an excellent cook by the way.


The pie crust is actually a crostada. It rolls up beautifully and transfers to the pie plate with minimum breakage. I used brown rice flour instead of the white rice flour requested in the recipe.

Crostada
When I make the pie filling, I throw it altogether into the pot and mix. I cook it over medium heat mixing occasionally until the fruit is cooked and the filling has thickened.

I baked it at 350F for 35 minutes.  Then of course we all dived into it. This is now my pie crust recipe. It was delicious!




No comments:

Post a Comment