Translate

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Gluten Free Date Bars

I have loved date bars since I was a kid. Could I make them gluten free? You bet! Here's the recipe:

Gluten Free Date Bars

Date filling:

750 gram package of pitted dates, chopped
2 cups water

Bars:

1 cup brown sugar, not packed
1 cup soft butter
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 1/2 cups gluten free quick cooking oats
1/2 tsp baking soda

Cook filling ingredients for about 20 minutes over low-med heat, stirring to not let the mixture stick to the bottom of the pan. Cool 10 minutes.

Heat oven to 400F. Grease 13 X 9 inch pan.

Stir brown sugar and butter until well mixed. Add flour, oats, baking soda and mix until crumbly. Divide mixture into two and press the first half into the pan. Next, spread the date filling over the bottom layer and then top with the second half of the crumbles and press down gently.

Bake for 26 minutes. Cool for ten minutes and cut into large squares.
 This is a filling mildly sweet square. I freeze mine to take out one piece at a time when I have a craving. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds totally YUMMY Diane! I will definitely be trying this one! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete